Quarterback DREW BREES of the New Orleans Saints, cornerback CHARLES TILLMAN of the Chicago Bears and rookie punter JOHNNY HEKKER of the St. Louis Rams are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the fifth week of the 2012 season (October 4, 7-8), the NFL announced today.
SPECIAL TEAMS: P JOHNNY HEKKER, ST. LOUIS RAMS
- Hekker punted seven times and averaged 56.9 yards per punt in the Rams’ 17-3 win over Arizona.
- Hekker’s 56.9 yards per punt average is the highest in a game in franchise history.
- He placed three of his punts inside the 20-yard line and had a net average of 46 yards per punt.
- Six of Hekker’s seven punts were at least 55 yards, including two punts of 60 yards (68 and 60 yards). His 68-yard punt was the longest by a Ram since DONNIE JONES in 2008 (12/14/08, 68 yards).
- · In his rookie season from Oregon State, this is Hekker’s first career Player of the Week Award.
- · This is the second consecutive week in which a Ram was named Special Teams Player of the Week (GREG ZUERLEIN).
- · Hekker and Zuerlein are the first rookie punter-kicker teammates to be named Special Teams Player of the Week in consecutive weeks.