Shop for Los Angeles Rams gear at Fanatics.com

The Rams Know How to Pick Em

So did we pick up any good players this off season?  I am not going to talk about Bradford.  He is the NFL’s and the Rams tabula rasa.  There is nothing there.  So far he is a blank slate.  We all wait to see how he forms and what appears on his canvas.  Who will probably start the season at QB?  That would be Mr AJ Feeley.  Here is what I wrote very early on in the free agency regarding AJ:

‘AJ Feeley was signed by the Eagles in 2001.  He spent 2001 on the bench as a third string QB.  In 2002 when both the first and second stringers went down with injuries (McNabb and Detmer), Feeley came in and won the next 4 of 5 games.  In 2003 he was again relegated to the bench for the entire year (no snaps).  In 2004 he was traded to Miami where he became their starting QB.  Unfortunately, he played poorly and ended up sharing snaps with Jay Fielder.  In 2005 he spent the whole season on the bench; first for Miami and then midway through the season with San Diego.  In 2006 he was signed back by the Eagles and has played in a few unimportant games.’

And the Rams of course go and sign him.  The man has been around the NFL 9 years, has been on the bench close to 8 years, and the one time he gets the ‘YOU THE MAN’ nod (Miami 2004), he performs miserably.  Yeah that was a good pick up.  Does Ram’s management look at stats?

Here’s another great pick up… hot off the presses.  The Rams pick up Bobby Carpenter of Dallas in a trade for ‘veteran’ player Alex Barron.  Carpenter, a linebacker, is described as an underachiever.  That’s kind of like going into a job interview with a piece of paper stuck to your forehead saying “loser”.  I don’t know anything about Barron other than in the last 5 seasons he has played in 74 of 76 games.  I thought the whole idea of the trading players is to bring in better talent?

Ed note: Sorry Mark, I meant no offense with my statement that previously was above the article.  I simple meant that you are a good check for my optimism that frequently runs amok.   My apologies. – Jeff

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Rams Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

10 Responses to “The Rams Know How to Pick Em”

1. Jeff Roman says:

I disagree about Carpenter and Barron. Barron is a penalty magnet and Carpenter is a underachiever because he is talented and was miscast in the Cowboys 3-4 because they changed regimes the year after he was drafted.

2. I think ‘good’ players adapt.

3. Scott Bundren says:

I agree that good players adapt, but trading a bust like Barron for a bust like Carpenter was a move by both teams that were just going to cut them anyway. Might as well change schemes and see how they ‘adapt’. Time after time, you see players that look like busts play for one scheme, only to switch schemes and flourish. Not saying that’s the case here, but neither were getting the job done on their respective teams. You can say all you want about Barron playing in 74 of 76 games, but that doesn’t mean he played good in those games. He got chance after chance because he was being paid first round $$ and there was nobody better. Obviously, the Rams have enough confidence in Saffold and the rest of the depth at tackle to get rid of Barron.

4. Scott Bundren says:

I also disagree with your comments about Bradford and Feeley. I’m going to guess that Bradford will be starter week 1, but if he doesn’t, then Feeley will be the ‘caretaker’ until they think he’s ready. Feeley was picked up because he’s familiar with the offense being run. He’s there because he is a veteran that knows the offense who can teach Bradford and help him along. Do you think the Cardinals got Warner to take them to the Superbowl? No! They got him to help Leinart along. Warner looked like his good years were behind him, after his downfall in St. Louis and his dismal performance in NY (where he was brought in to help bring up Eli). Not saying Feeley is going to have Warner’s rejuvenated career, but that’s not why he was brought in.

• Andy Mokler says:

I agree with you but your Warner example is flawed. The Cardinals brought him in to be the starter in ’05. Green was giving him one last shot to start. McCown was the other Arizona QB at the time and he was never really considered as an answer at the starting position. Leinart wasn’t drafted until ’06.

As far as Feeley, he more fits a Doug Pederson comparison and I think that is what should be used here since Spagnuolo has specifically pointed to the 1999 Eagles’ QB situation as a way to do things when drafting a first round QB.

5. Scott, I totally agree with you. It’s just a short article. I understand Feeley’s role, I just don’t think he is the right guy. I like some one more like Jeff Garcia (or a half dozen other guys I analyzed in my free agency articles). Mark

6. Scott Bundren says:

I agree with Jeff Garcia being a better fit. I don’t understand why nobody has given him more of a chance. He did great in Philly with Shurmur as his QB coach, and he already knows the offense. He is a more solid QB to give Bradford more time to develop and watch. Good pick.

• Andy Mokler says:

I think it’s perfectly understandable to stay away from Garcia. He is not a guy who has shown to be a good mentor. He wants to play, he wants to start and he is vocal when he gets benched. That is not something that would particularly benefit Bradford or the Rams.

He is also not a QB that is going to perform so well that it will make a significant difference in the win/loss column. Look at what he did in Cleveland and Detroit where the offensive schemes were perfectly tailored for him.

While Garcia has had a fine NFL career I think he turns 40 this year in addition to what I’ve already mentioned. I assume he would command much more money than Feeley as well.

Garcia still thinks he’s a starter while Feeley is apparently willing to play his role.