Shop for Los Angeles Rams gear at Fanatics.com

Listless Rams Embarrassed by Eagles

The St. Louis Rams started off the season in the worst possible way by losing to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Rams literally added insult to injury by losing Leonard Little, Orlando Pace and Drew Bennett to injury. Suddenly, 2008 is looking an awful lot like 2007.

The Rams could not cover the Eagles 3rd through 5th wide receivers down the field. They could not rush or pressure McNabb, even when blitzing. The Rams offensive line (supposedly much improved) could not block anyone, even when the Eagles did not blitz. The Rams had Desean Jackson bottled up on returns for most of the game, but like all good returners, when he got his chance, he took advantage of it with a big return.

Jackson also burned each of the Rams corners on big catches. And to think the Rams passed on him to pick Donnie Avery…who was inactive with an injury. I for one, didn’t hate the Avery pick, but the Desean Jackson hype machine rolls on. Here’s the list of players who had catches over 30 yards: Jackson, Greg Lewis, Hank Baskett and Jason Avant. This is not an All Star cast in any world. Jackson, Lewis and Baskett all had at least 100 yards receiving.

Searching for a bright spot in this game is like searching for a needle in a haystack, but Randy McMichael did well with his 5 catches for 77 yards.

The bad news outnumbered the good news by a ratio of 50 to 1, and the Rams front office and coaching staff will be looking for answers and I for one will be looking forward to hear their excuses for the blowout loss.

The season could not have started worse for the Rams and they will have to look to bounce back against the defending champion New York Giants at the Edward Jones Dome.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Rams Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

7 Responses to “Listless Rams Embarrassed by Eagles”

1. Patrick says:

That was the worst display of professional football I have ever seen. I have been a rams fan for 20 years and I know bad football, but this goes way beyond bad football. The blown coverages, lack of pressure, complete lack of composure by Bulger, breakdown of the O-line, and pure lack of leadership was intolerable and inexcusable. This is the NFL? There are college teams that this Rams team could not beat. I maintain my opinion of Bulger from when he replaced Warner. Bulger is NOT the guy.

2. Eric LeBlanc says:

I agree….Now its coaching. Alex Baron is ALWAYS FALSE STARTS since he has been here.
    If they can’t fix him…bench him….Linehan (SP) needs to be told win or YOUR FIRED! Haslett time has come ….he was better as head coach in NO….he has not had a good defense yet! This is depressing…..Too many injuries…time for a new strength and conditioning coach..hey I am available!!!!

3. W. Patrick Keaney says:

I searched my memory and this is honestly the worst NFL performance I have ever seen. If it continues like this Linehan will be gone before the seasons over. The Lambs are the laughing stock of the NFL, Congats..

4. LARAM2008 says:

WOW, TODAY I CAN SAY I AM ASHAMED OF THE RAMS. LINEHAN MUST GO. LINEHAN KEEP YOUR HAIR AND LOOSE THE JOB, PLEASE. WHERE IS ALL THE OFFENSE THE MANAGEMENT PROMISED WHEN THEY HIRED LINEHAN. SOMEONE GET NORM CHOW IN THERE OR EVEN MARTZ, AT LEAST THE RAMS WERE THERE EVERY YEAR WITH MARTZ. DEAR GEORGIA, I AM GLAD YOU DID NOT SEE THIS HEARTLESS PERFORMANCE. I HAVE BEEN A RAMS FAN FROM LOS ANGELES SINCE 1976, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A LOUSY GAME. THE KICKING GAME WAS AWESOME, BUT WHERE DO THE RAMS GO FROM HERE. LINEHAN PLEASE RESIGN. I THINK THE PLAYERS HAVE GIVEN UP ON HIM. TORRY HOLT WAS GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS. WHAT A SEASON YET TO COME. SORRY RAMS BUT WE DESERVE BETTER.

5. J.C. says:

For the first time I am ashamed to call myself a Rams fan. Scott Linehan you had a shot and your shot is long since gone. Please resign, you are a failure of a coach! St. Louis deserves a better team than this rag tag bunch of hacks. My lil sister’s powder-puff team could have stomped their guts in. The defense is an ABSOLUTE JOKE and the offense are a bunch of over paid hacks! I’m so glad we dropped 50 mil on a back who couldn’t squeeze out more than 40 yards. Jackson you’re a BUM! This team needs to be gutted and rebuilt from the managment to the players. Either get to work on firing everyone or sell the team. Either way the fans of St. Louis deserve something better than this poor excuse of a football team! I’m going back to watching the Cards, at least they show a little effort on the field. THE RAMS SUCK!!

6. CY says:

What a pathetic excuse for a Football Team. Okay folks call me a quiter, but as of today I am no longer going to watch the Candy rams. I figure that this season will be no better than last season and probably worse. So I am going to accept that the rams are loosers, not get my hopes up and save myself and my heart a lot of needless stress created by a Team (I loose the term lightly)that doesn’t really care. Instead I will watch other NFL teams that want to win.

7. Brad Phillips says:

The RAMS have football talent but no leadership from the coaching staff or players. The defensive scheme has totally confused the players for years. Note to Haslett…it’s not working buddy.

Linehan. Decent offensive coordinator with no leadership ability whatsoever. The sooner he is let go the sooner the improvement will begin. Put Al Saunders in charge for the balance of the year to see how he does.