Like it or Not, Linehan’s Here to Stay

Despite an awful season that has seen the team gone 3-10 through the first 13 games, the Rams are not going to be saying so long to head coach Scott Linehan at the end of the season.  Team President John Shaw said on Monday that he will not fire Linehan, and that he will return as head coach next season.  “I felt the last month or so that the obstacles were somewhat insurmountable for him,” Shaw said in a telephone interview. “From the first game the offensive line was a mess, and then Marc and Steven got hurt. From Day 1, it was almost impossible to evaluate him.”

The team has been beat up all season long with injuries, as stated above players like Orlando Pace, Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson have been banged up, or some have not played at all.  The team has in total 11 players on injured reserve, seven of which are starters.  “I felt all along I was kind of telling him that myself and ownership felt it was very hard to evaluate him just on this year’s performance,” Shaw said. “I told Scott today and he kind of sensed it was coming.”

Linehan said Monday that he felt good about being told that he would be back next season.  “It’s important to know you’ve got support and those things,” Linehan said. “But at this point it’s really not my issue. My issue is trying to get our fourth win.”  The team has actually played better as of late, despite losing on Sunday to the Bengals 19-10 they have won three of their last five after starting out 0-8.

Last season in Linehan’s first year as head coach, the Rams went 8-8 and seemed on the verge of making an impact in the NFC West this year before poor play as well as the huge amount of injuries ruined any shot they had of a successful season.


Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Rams Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Leave a Reply